Monday, February 24, 2014

Last Word

This post is probably not the last word on the idea of Jesus -- and those of us who follow him -- living as "subversives" in a world that is fundamentally antithetical to him.  But I caused some people some discomfort with some of the ways I overplayed the tune, so I'll try to change that from here on out.  If you are one of those who felt hurt, I sincerely apologize.  It was never my intention to be anything other than honest.  And I do appreciate those who have engaged with me on this issue.  I hope to prove myself open and accepting to differing viewpoints.

All that being said, almost everything I have to say about being "subversives" for Jesus comes from my readings of Eugene Peterson (probably best known as the author of The Message).  His book The Contemplative Pastor contains a chapter entitled "The Subversive Pastor" which has become hugely influential for many in my little circle of Christianity.  He now has an entire book dedicated to Subversive Spirituality.  I haven't read that one, so I can't recommend it except by reputation.  But I do recommend reading "The Subversive Pastor" in The Contemplative Pastor.  That single chapter alone is well worth the price of the whole book.

1 comment:

  1. I know I would like to read The Contemplative Pastor sometime. What is the name of the other book that is devoted to subversiveness? After looking at the definition for subversive tonight, I do understand why some might have trouble with that term.

    However, besides maybe Eugene Peterson(a fellow Seattle Pacific Univ. grad), Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a subversive in Hitler's Germany. The Lighthouse ABF passed around copies of two DVD biographies of Dietrich Bonhoeffer a few years ago. I am sure someone can loan them to anyone who would like to view them.

    I think the only part of me that that some may think of me is subversive would be I know I am a citizen of heaven and not earth. So, therefore, my allegiance ultimately is to God, not to my country. I would only defend my country if God directly called me to do so.

    Blessings,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete